At Asset Design & Build we have found that many of our clients are opting for sliding doors as opposed to bi-fold doors, so is the fashion changing?
Below are some pros and cons of sliding versus bi fold doors:
* large glass panes possible
* Wider overall width available * Open and close in line, not protruding * More traditional as a replacement * Up to two thirds opening * Narrow frame widths * Works well with curtains and blinds *Has less structural demands
* Site conditions or location may prevent large panes being installed * Wide deep track (particularly on triple runners) * Not such a wide opening as bi folding doors * Doors less convenient to open and shut frequently
Bi fold doors
* Useful for smaller doors, less than a 2 metre opening * Wider clearer openings possible which improves sociability between the home and the garden * Greater choice of configuration options * Separate ‘traffic door’ allows the single door to be used as a back door * integral blinds readily available * Easy to install on sites with access difficulty * Wider opening when fully folded back
* More framework, less glass * Intrusive when open inwards
In summary the sliding doors offer a larger glass area whilst the bi-folding doors offer a wider opening. The costs for both systems are similar ultimately it comes down to which you prefer for your extension.
Info and images credit to